Friday, May 9, 2014

Bloody Awesome!

Squeamish people, look away now.
Today was our first trip to the Globe Theatre to see the blood filled revenge play Titus Andronicus. The only thing I kept hearing about this production was that it was causing the audience members to faint. I'm sure you can see why.


There was so much theatrical blood used in this show, I began to wonder strange things about it. Like, what does it taste like? (Multiple actors spit it out of their mouths) Does it stain? (Being on the front row, we were in the splash zone) Is it sticky? Hard to wash out of hair? Fragranced?
But I digress. 
Being in the globe was INCREDIBLE. Unfortunately because of designer rights, they wouldn't let us take any pictures (the one above is a media shot), but it was as beautiful and perfect as I imagined it to be. We got to the theatre early to line up because we were groundlings. All that means is that we didn't have seats, but rather stood in the pit between the stage and the bleachers. My guess is that the blood is gruesome, but standing for three hours and locking your knees will cause people to pass out too! Back in Shakespeare's day, you could be a groundling for a pence. Now-a-days it's the cool way to be right in the middle of the action.
The actors used the pit playing space many times. You really have to watch out for yourself when you stand down there. I almost got hit with sword sheaths, fake blood, spit, dead birds, and props various. I wouldn't have changed my spot for a seat though!
At one of the most brutal parts of the show, (pictured here)


just as Lavinia spits out a river of blood to signify her tongue had been cut out, the girl next to me went down like a domino. Sure enough, the ushers on the side put her feet up on the stage to elevate her feet, wheeled her a wheel chair, and as soon as she regained consciousness they took her outside. The actors just kept on the whole time.
Reading the play makes people wonder how such an incredible playwright like Shakespeare could have written such a mindlessly bloody play. To those people, I wish you could all have seen this production. (I'll admit, when I read it there were parts I thought were ridiculous and funny.) It seemed like they knew this full well because they played up the funny bits so you REALLY laughed, but suddenly would turn it all upside down and you were gasping in horror. 
I laughed so hard I snorted, I cried, I stood in the most horrific shock, the only thing I didn't do was pass out. It was the easiest three standing hours of my life. (I wonder if I'll feel that was during Antony and Cleopatra...)

~Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment