Monday, May 12, 2014

This and That

Well, I don't want to say I haven't done a lot recently, because I have, but maybe I'm getting used to seeing incredible things all the time. There are plenty of things I've been to and seen that I know I have to do or see again, so luckily I have time. I counted up the things I've done on my bucket list and I'm at 14/32 which is pretty impressive considering I've also done a bunch that wasn't on my list.
I'm going to highlight some of the things I did on my list. (and finally use some of the pictures I've taken!)

Houses of Parliament


Yes, we saw Big Ben and these things on the first day, but we didn't really get time to just walk around this area. The other day we decided to go to south bank and the Imperial War Museum. After making the trip we found out that it is unfortunately closed until July. Instead we decided to just take a walk. We walked from the Westminster to the Globe! Then, after discovering that the tube stations were closed for rail maintenance, we walked all the way back! It was A LOT of walking, but the scenery wasn't bad at all. (We got to see the London Eye up close.)


Tower of London


Yesterday, we attended an Anglican Church service in the chapel of St Peter at the Tower of London. The building was very cool (built in 1516, don't mind the city cranes in the back) and the choir was beautiful. Jane and Tim are experts at all this, they knew that it would be a good experience but that if you go to the church service you also get into the Tower for free. So instead of us all having to pay 14 pounds, we got in for free! We got to see the crown jewels and the armor of King Henry VIII in the White Tower built in the early 1000's (as well as the grass patch where some of his wives were beheaded). We also saw a changing of the Guard ceremony.


Trafalgar Square

Sunday evening there was a London Symphony Orchestra concert for free in Trafalgar Square. Here's a quick look from where we were sitting.


Luckily we made it when we did because it filled up SO fast, they closed the square off right after we got in. The Orchestra played for an hour and a half and even did this cool thing where they had the audience "play" along with them by putting "sheet music" up on the big screen and having everyone jingle their keys to create a rhythm that went along with Masks from Romeo and Juliet by Sergei Prokofiev.

(that is Nelson's Column, the LSO was under the white tent, incase it rained)

Bonus, on our way back from the concert, we found the TARDIS.


~Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment