Friday, April 18, 2014

14 Days to Go: Live in Living Color

2 weeks my friends. 2 weeks and I'll be at the beginning of my wondrous adventure abroad. At this point in the countdown I'm going to start personalizing some of the activities and To Dos. Everything on my list is great, but some of these things aren't open to everyone! Like this one-

5/18: Andrew Scott, Arthur Darvill, and Fiona Shaw

Unless you plan your vacation around seeing a certain production, chances are you are going to get a mixed bag of luck when it comes to what shows and actors you can see when you go to the West End (probably Broadway as well). Luck is with me my friends. Not that it's not great to go to a show where you don't know the actors (I'm sure they are all very talented), but sometimes you just NEED to see an actor live because you're familiar with their other work. And familiar I am.
If you've been following along, you'll know I'm a fan of Sherlock on the BBC. So you can imagine my reaction when my Professor posted this on our Facebook group page-


Yup, that's right. Who's seeing Andrew Scott from the second row? This girl. We'll be seeing his show, Birdland, for our Contemporary Drama class.
Andrew Scott is such a brilliant actor, in my opinion he doesn't get the credit he deserves being stuck behind Benedictus Cumber-bun* and Martin Freeman (yes, they are incredible too) in Sherlock.
Point is, I'm elated to see him live on stage. The show doesn't look half bad either ;)
*Yes, I'm aware it's actually Benedict Cumberbatch. 

So, what other BBC stars can I see in May? How about Arthur Darvill?


Most popular for his role as Rory Williams in Doctor Who, Arthur has also played Guy in Once on Broadway. And it's to the Musical Theatre scene he will return, reviving Guy on the West End. Once won EIGHT Tonys (including best musical), four Drama Desk Awards, and a Grammy when it opened in the US! The London cast earned two Olivers. A great show and a great actor? Yeah, I'm so there.

Sherlock Holmes, Doctor Who, and Harry Potter. How's that for the crown of geeks? Well, it's a crown I'll gladly wear. I mean, is it even possible to go to the UK and see a show where at least one actor wasn't in a Harry Potter movie? (Yeah, probably.) For us, it's going to be Fiona Shaw.


Or better known as Aunt Petunia Dursley. Fiona Shaw is extremely accomplished on stage and screen. It's really an honor for us to see her in The Testament of Mary in May. And we will indeed see a lot of her since it's a one woman show AND we get to have a talk back with her as well as Tony and Oliver winning director Deborah Warner after the show.
I'm star struck just thinking about it.

~Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment