Monday, April 14, 2014

18 Days to Go : Shakespeare's Globe

Hey all! Since I have to worst patience in the world, I've decided to make a countdown to make the time go faster until my departure date! Each day I will highlight an adventure, place, or To Do that I can't wait to see or experience (in no particular order).

1/18: The New Globe Theatre

My Study Abroad is through the Theatre and Humanities departments at my University, so it's only fitting that we will be stopping by the Globe Theatre a couple times. 

You may be wondering if I'm crazy, because the Globe burned down in 1613 AND was demolished by Puritans in 1644. Well, hence the title the NEW Globe Theatre, or formally, Shakespeare's Globe. A bunch of theatre enthusiasts (geeks) rebuilt a "faithful recreation" only 750ft from the original in 1997. It's as close to the original in looks as possible, since the exacts are a little vague. To build it exactly the same would be a fire hazard anyway!

We have the incredible opportunity to see TWO shows at the Globe this summer. The first at the beginning of our trip is the infamous Titus Andronicus, cleverly summed up in  1 Panel s .


Word is, it's so gory people have puked and/or passed out. Is it terrible to say that I can't WAIT to see this production? Maybe.

The next, near the end of our trip, is Antony and Cleopatra.


I really couldn't care which Shakespeare shows we get to see in the Globe, I'm just excited we get to go! What an experience to say I've see two Shakespeare shows exactly where they are meant to be performed. Happy 450th Birthday to you Shakespeare and happy day to me!

I mean, just look how stunning it is!

~Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment