Wednesday, April 23, 2014

9 Days to Go: Westminster Abbey

10/18: Westminster Abbey and Poets Corner

Ah, yes. Beautiful, historical, royal Westminster Abbey. Who would dream of missing it? I mean, just look at this thing -


is it not perfect? And it only gets better on the inside.


I could look at Pinterest pictures of the Abbey for HOURS. I keep getting distracted by which angle of the same part I should post. If each picture is worth a thousand words, then this blog is already too long. But basically, that's the reason I want to go. To just stand there and stare, mouth open and everything.
The initial reason I wanted to visit the Abbey before I looked at all these pictures was (is) Poets Corner.
There are tons of famous British people buried in Westminster Abbey, most of them are Poets and Playwrights (hence the name Poets Corner). So they built most of them a memorial. A bust or a plaque or a full on statue.


See Shakespeare lounging in the middle? He's not buried there, but they have memorials for him anyway. Famous people buried there include; Geoffrey Chaucer, Charles Dickens, and Alfred Tennyson, while Jane Austen, Lewis Carroll, T.S. Eliot, C.S. Lewis, Christopher Marlowe, and Oscar Wilde like Shakespeare have memorials. Wow. Yeah.
Basically, I'm obsessed and can't wait to see it all with my own eyes!


~Jamie


No comments:

Post a Comment